It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: TUFF SCHIDT - 05 Sierra
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:40 pm 
Call Me Cecil

It’s been about 18 months since I’ve done a complete build from the ground up. The last few projects I've done have been either kits or I just made changes to existing platforms. To date I have not seen another build like this one and since this idea has been beatin on me, I finally decided I had to make it happen.

From the shoot, I knew this project would require a whole schidt-load of parts as well as a schidt-ton of fabrication, so I really tried to think it all the way through before I pulled the trigger on starting it. With that said, I made a few purchases, starting with the body. Actually, it’s more of donor body. More on that later, but here’s the start of my parts list.

* RC4WD R2 2-spd transmission

* RC4WD T-Rex 60 axles

* RC4WD Disruptor transfer case

* RC4WD 80mm and 90mm shocks

* Tekin FXR/35T combo

* T-Maxx drivelines

* Hitec 645 - steering

* Hobbico CS-12 - shifting

It appears that the R2 2-spd is geared high, so the Disruptor T-case will help cut that down. I may need to swap out the 35T motor for something slower, but I figure it’s a good starting point. Hell…I dunno.

This is just a quick conceptual drawing of where I’m going with this.

Anyway, I give you…TUFF SCHIDT.

hahahaha…okay. Seriously.

**EDIT!!! ADDED MOCK UP PIC**

A rough mock up of where I'm going with this sumbitch...

For the frame, I started with ¼” aluminum, grabbed a Sharpie, a ruler, and went to cutting.

Image]

I’ll be running front and rear 4-link suspension. These are the upper link mounts for the rear end. I had to cut a tunnel out of the cross-brace for the driveline because I tucked the transfer case up between the frame rails to maximize clearance.

Here it is, all bolted up.

Front end:

The whole schmeer…sans shocks:

I am not sure what tires and rims I will be using, but I know I will not be using BFG's.

Barack Hussein Obama is not my president.

Last edited by METALHEAD on Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: TUFF SCHIDT - 05 Sierra
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:58 pm 
Good Ole Country Boy

Good hearin from ya Metal. Nice beginning!! Looking well thought out. Have to get you & DiggerJ comparing notes, he's got a project on the table also. Thanks for sharing, your builds are always KILLER.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:51 pm 
Call Me Cecil

Thanks swede, kind of you to say. I always enjoy hearing from ya. I've been around, just checkin in and stuff. Definitely interested in anything Digger's got goin on. Tell him to post that chit up! You still doing the crawlin scene a little bit?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:17 pm 
Good Ole Country Boy

Still got the crawler but it sets most of the time. Since about a year ago been trying to race an Sc10. (w/mixed results ) but it's a fun class. Ran indoor most of the winter and now it's almost cold weather again.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:22 pm 
Thats Mr Harvard Bob to you

Ceeeecil! Dammit man. I thought maybe the Canadians had extradited you or somethin. :-#
Glad to see you back; and with another killer build. It looks real nice. Safe to say I think we all envy your talent in the area.

Welcome back and stick around awhile. True there ain't much goin on but it takes a crowd to make a disturbance!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:05 pm 
Corner Marshal Killer

jrc6805 wrote:
Safe to say I think we all envy your talent in the area.

Yep, you are the scratch build KING! :whorship:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:36 am 
The Hobbit

What do yo cut and shape that aluminum with?

[_ [_ ,[__]
[-- l__l -OlllllO-
( )_) ( )_) -)_)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:18 pm 
Call Me Cecil

Awe, thanks guys! Hahahahaha...jrc...the Canadians tried, but they weren't quick enough. I tossed some donuts out at 'em and escaped while they were distracted. :P Fact is, I just didn't do much RC'in this summer and I was really busy at work, so when I got home at night I didn't even wanna look at a computer. But, I figured when I did get back to it, I was gonna take my time and try and bust out a real bad dude, so that's what I'm working for.

Har-ley, I use a band saw to cut the aluminum. Last month I broke down and bought myself a belt/disc sander so I use that whenever I can to clean up the cuts and shape everything. It REALLY helps out because I can square shit off so much quicker and more accurately than before. When I can't use that I get real nasty with some metal files. The easiest way for me is to draw out what I want and slowly and methodically file it down to the marks. It's damned hard to get things square by filing though, so the sander is my new buddy.

Thanks again for the props fellas!

I'll get some body work shots posted up when I get 'em off the camera and have some more time. I'm off to go watch the Homecoming football game (and drink some thirstbusters). \:D/ RAWK!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:01 pm 
MacGyver!

Hey Metal, I think you posted on the wrong forum. Actual R/C stuff isn't discussed around these parts!

That is some awesome work you are doing. I would have sworn that you had a CNC machine or some high dollar equipment! Not a band saw and sander. Awesome skill and vision.

What type of aluminum are you using? Thickness?

I also like the fact that you have thought things out before just jumping into a project. Looking forward to seeing the progress as it continues.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:20 pm 
Im A Big Kid Now!

Looks awesome so far man, keep us posted.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:24 pm 
Call Me Cecil

Thanks guys!

Hey PK, I buy all my aluminum at Ace Hardware, so I’m kinda limited. I’m guessing it’s just “standard” 6065. As far as thickness, like the frame and most of the parts are cut outta ¼”x1” stock. I use some other stuff like angle, U and flat stock in 1/8” mostly. I also use some ¼” round stock here and there too…mostly for rollbars and pushbars and stuff…which is a ways out yet.

I wanted to get some shocks on this Schidt, so that was my next challenge. Here’s what I came up with.

I didn’t like the first rear shock brace/tower. So, I built another one… I drilled the second one with three different mounting positions that progressively move the shocks lower and outward, making them more vertical as well as raising the chassis. This changes the suspension dynamics pretty considerably, so I’m glad to have the options.

I kept the front towers though. They’re pretty straightforward.

Here are a couple of articulation shots. Gotta have the poser shots. I just kinda jammed the motor/trans in there, but that’s roughly where they’re gonna go.

Here are some progress shots of the bodywork.

Started here and got silly with the Dremel…

I obviously cut the shit outta the body. For starters, I ditched all the bullshit Denali skirting and built styrene lower sections and that are much cleaner. I also built up the roof with three layers of styrene to match the rounded roof. I had to cut a chunk out of it because the Denali had ridges in it and the pickup roof is smooth. Also, I had to do some work on the rear window to make it an extened cab window rather than a Denali or 4-door pickup rear window.

The back of the cab had to be completely fabricated. There is a piece of angle aluminum across the back of the cab for rigidity. I used screws to permanently attach the cab back to the alumium brace and then covered the whole works with one solid piece of .060 styrene to clean it all up.

After a little bondo action and some sanding.

I want to keep this more scale than performance-oriented. I gotta trick it out a little for the sake of capability, but when it's said and done, I don't want to go overboard.

That’s all I have for now. It’s starting to take shape anyway. I'll keep updating as I make progress. Thanks for checking it out!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:16 am 
Im A Big Kid Now!

Dude, that's some sweet Shidt there.

Seriously, I can't even imagine having the time, nor the patients to complete a project like this. Your builds are all well thought out and executed.

Now that I'm done suckin' you off, that shit they sell at Ace is 5052. Bendable, and mildly machine-able. Great for projects like these, not so great for making links out of. I prefer Delrin/Acetal/Whateverthehellyouwannacallit, but in your case, keep it up.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:16 am 
Call Me Cecil

KMN wrote:
Dude, that's some sweet Shidt there.

Seriously, I can't even imagine having the time, nor the patients to complete a project like this. Your builds are all well thought out and executed.

Now that I'm done suckin' you off, that shit they sell at Ace is 5052. Bendable, and mildly machine-able. Great for projects like these, not so great for making links out of. I prefer Delrin/Acetal/Whateverthehellyouwannacallit, but in your case, keep it up.

Thanks KMN, I appreciate the input man! That actually makes sense that it's the 5052, because it can be pretty easy to strip out. That's one reason I dig the 1/4" stuff so much better. There's a schidt ton more material to work with so I don't worry about stripping it so much.

I have yet to try the Delrin/Acetal/Whateverthehellyouwannacallit, but I still have the link you gave me back when you were building your bigass crawler. I'd like to get some and give it a shot, but I never get around to ordering it. Whenever I'm in the building mode, I just end up running over to Ace and scoring some aluminum. Something to think about though, fo sho. Thanks again dude!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:08 pm 
Call Me Cecil

Here are some more body work shots of the box as it progressed.

I epoxied some aluminum braces into the box to make it nice and solid. The lower brace also doubles as a mounting point for the floor. The "bed caps" are mounted to an upper brace that's epoxied to the inside of the box.

Love the bondo!

It still needs a ton of work, but at least it's taken form and is ready to be mounted.

The body is just sitting on the frame, but I couldn't resist getting a quick pic of the proposed articulation. The front right and the rear left wheels are up on blocks of equal height. This should be a pretty capable trail rig.

Finally, I built some motor/trans mounts. I tried to keep them as simple and effective as I could, so I tapped into the shock towers and stuck the whole works right to them. I can remove the whole works with two screws.

I've been working on this quite a bit, so I should have some more pics here real soon...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:58 am 
the man,the myth,the legend

Holy SCHIDT! Thats amazing.

http://www.wnyrcinfo.com/tsig.htm

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:51 am 
Call Me Cecil

Thanks Tana, I appreciate it!

Check it, more schidt...

This is the rear cab mount. I used Durafix to "weld" the aluminum together and attach the ears that mount inside the frame rails.

This is the front cab mount. It looks a little like a radiator support, which is kinda funny. I used Durafix on this piece too.

This next piece has been plaguing me for awhile. I was having a hard time figuring out how and where I wanted to mount the shifting servo. I finally bit the bullet and just went for it. This servo will shift between low and high on the R2 2 speed. Since the actuating arm is spring loaded, I just need the servo to push it in to lock it down, then swing open and let the arm spring back out. Thankfully I'm able to use end point adjustments on the radio. Otherwise, this would be a servo-burner-outer.

I had to build the servo arm out of styrene and then I mounted it to the servo. Obviously, I don't have my RX/TX or any other electronics installed yet, but so far I think this is going to work out just fine.

I'll have more updates soon. I'm waiting for some parts to come in the mail.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:50 pm 
Call Me Cecil

So I haven't been doing much work on this bastard, but it occurred to me that I hadn't updated this thread in awhile. Anyway, I have some more pics. More to come, but for the time being, I did a little more body work. I'm getting really close to shooting some primer, but for now, I got the body mounted.

This is the rear cab mount. The front mounts to the "radiator support" for the time being.

Here's a quick shot under the hood. Oh yeah...it's a big block....:lolbeat:

The whole enchilada. I moved the rear shocks to the lowest setting to level it all out.

I put on some SDI Trail Docs mounted on some HPI rims for the time being. These might be the tires I roll with, at least for a little while. The size is right and I like the way the Trail Docs performed on my other rigs. I'm not crazy about the offset on the rims though. I'm not about to take them off and reglue them, so I'm thinkin I'll just live with it.

This articulation shot is the real deal with the cab and box both mounted to the frame. I could stuff some more tire meat into the fender wells if I wanna, but I don't want it to get all monster truck lookin. I tried some Tomahawks and was not thrilled. Way to big for this project as it sits. As is, the Trail Docs work out to like 35" tires, which is pretty close to where I wanna be. Check it:

So everything was going well. Then...I stepped on my dick.

Here's the scenario. I was gonna de-chrome the grill and headlight bezels so I can paint them. I did it on my SCX-10 and it came out really nice:

So anyway, I sprayed them with Easy Off, put them in the oven and went and did something else. Maybe I was gone too long, maybe the oven was too warm, maybe I'm a moron. Realistically, it's a big stupid combination of all three. Long story short, I ruined the whole fuckin works.

As in, complete toast.

So I proceded to build the whole front end from scratch. I started with the basic bucket/bezel/housing. Luckily I didn't ruin the headlight covers too. These helped quite a lot, you can see one taped to the side.

The next step was to start filling them out on the inside. I was kinda flying by the seat of my pants, so I did a lot of hit and miss with the way I built these things.

Here they are, mostly built and cleaned up somewhat. You can see the start of my grille too. The grille actually came together fairly quickly.

The grille is just sitting there, not mounted yet, but I got it all bondoed up. I also filled out the back of the headlight housings so I can mount my LED's and decided that I REALLY needed a change of pace, so I left the front like this for the time being.

The left box side had been bugging me for awhile, so I finally got around to finishing up the body work on it. I needed to build it up some to match the body lines on the cab, so that's exactly what I did. Here's the pre-primer shot.

Also, since I trimmed the front end up and got rid of the "stock" bumper, I needed to build something custom. That's where this bad mutha came in...

Another body-off shot. You might notice that I also built some rock guards/sliders that fit under the body too. I figured after all the time I spent on body work, I should try to protect it from the abuse it's gonna take.

Finally, here's a quickie shot with the body back on to see how everything lines up.

I'm still a long ways off, but getting these last few things done and letting it sit for the last month has given me some time to think and gain some insight into what I wanna do with this project.

I still have to clean up the headlight bezels and the grille along with fine-tuning the body work. I don't have any pics yet, but it's in primer now. I can tell it's gonna need some more TLC before I can even consider shooting it, but I have the color and paint scheme figured out. I also made up my mind on the tires. I have all the electronics, so I may just put it together, run the pizz out of it, and tweak it around before I finish it up. Regardless, I'll keep you guys posted... Thanks for checkin back!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:32 pm 

:whorship: :whorship: :whorship: :whorship: :whorship:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:16 pm 
Good Ole Country Boy

Thanks for the update, really looks good.REALLY like that bumper & guard. Wish I was as talented

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:56 pm 

I think maybe I mighta called it once before, but am too lazy to dig through to find out, that ol MH here is easily the Chip Foose of the RC world. And we got it right here at bannedrc.

bitches! :mallot: :mallot: :loco: