It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: KMN's 100MPH Inferno GT2 build
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:28 pm 
Im A Big Kid Now!

Yes 100+, verified by radar or GPS, miles per hour is the goal here.

Here's the start: roughly 60 bucks after shipping. I think I got a good deal.

Kyosho Inferno GT parts lot

Diffs are in excellent shape, the chassis is severely bent, but the majority of it is in excellent shape. I only needed the front and rear end anyways. Got a new red GT2 chassis on the way. Might have to switch to an MP777 7075 hardened chassis, but we'll see how this one holds up. After seeing the chassis, I can tell it's weak.

Also picked up a Kyosho brushless conversion kit, and RC-Monster Mike is hooking it up with the bigger lipo/ESC tray. Depending upon how the Kyosho mount is, I may just sell the mount/battery/esc tray but keep the servo box and go with RC-Monster parts for the motor mount, etc.

Plans are to have a Tekin RX8 ESC with T8 - 2000KV combo running a 6S, MAYBE.... just MAYBE, a Phoenix ICE with mechanical brakes, a 1300KV motor and 8S. Maybe, but only if the 6S runs too hot. Just bashing I'll be running it on 4S.

Keep an eye out here, I've got more parts on the way. (Mclaren F1 body.....SweepGT tires/rims)

Post subject: Re: KMN's 100MPH Inferno GT2 build
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:48 pm 
Im A Big Kid Now!

Shocks are rebuilt.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:18 pm 
Im A Big Kid Now!

In the process of rebuilding the diffs, I noticed that they were filled with grease. Who fills these things with grease? I mean, come the fuck on you morons. They're SEALED for a reason, jackasses. Diffs have been sidelined until new fluid is here. On the bright side, they have hardened gears that look perfect. Just finished an order with Amain. Losi 2K, 5K, 7K, 50K, and 125K oil is on the way. Gotta play around before this thing turns into pile of dust. Also ordered a couple new diff housings.

MP9-TKi3 Center diffs do not fit this chassis. They have more girth and less length, which sucks because the conversion kit I found on ebay had one of these included. I will get to use the lightened outdrives from it though, so that's a bonus. I've got a 46T Hot Bodies center spur that I will use with the new center. Going with 50K oil from the start, I cannot find the Cen diff locker locally, or on the internet with decent shipping. I might end up making a center diff locker if the 50K or 125K oil do not lock the center diff properly.

Also put a quick screw kit together for it to tide me over until the HexCrews AP kit comes in.

M3x50 screws work for rear outer hinge pins, and I even found that Ofna offers M3x50 locking pins as well. K-Factory is out of stock on their pin kit, and I just really hate e-clips.

More progress when parts start to arrive.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:33 pm 
Im A Big Kid Now!

Tee Hee!

This motor knocked on the door, Sirio, Picco, RB, and several other Italian nitro motors answered.

It gave them the finger. :flipa:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:46 pm 
Im A Big Kid Now!

On a side note, thank you H arley for introducing me to Psychostick.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:16 pm 
MacGyver!

KMN wrote:
Plans are to have a Tekin RX8 ESC with T8 - 2000KV combo running a 6S, MAYBE.... just MAYBE, a Phoenix ICE with mechanical brakes, a 1300KV motor and 8S. Maybe, but only if the 6S runs too hot. (Mclaren F1 body.....SweepGT tires/rims)

So educate me a little.

#1. What is the cell limit on these motors?
#2. If I remember right, the lower the KV, the higher the torque, so I'm assuming that's why you would bump up to 8S on the 1300KV motor in order to get your RPM's up higher?
#3. If the 2000KV combo gets hot on 6S, couldn't you just change the pinion size instead of a different motor combo with a more expensive battery? Even with the 1300KV motor on 8S, and in a perfect world, you are only going to get (8 x 3.7 x 1300) 38,480 RPM's compared to the 2000KV @ 44,000 RPM's. Would you be able to gear up the 1300KV motor to make up the difference in RPM's?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:35 pm 
Im A Big Kid Now!

Advanex said:

#1. What is the cell limit on these motors?
#2. If I remember right, the lower the KV, the higher the torque, so I'm assuming that's why you would bump up to 8S on the 1300KV motor in order to get your RPM's up higher?
#3. If the 2000KV combo gets hot on 6S, couldn't you just change the pinion size instead of a different motor combo with a more expensive battery? Even with the 1300KV motor on 8S, and in a perfect world, you are only going to get (8 x 3.7 x 1300) 38,480 RPM's compared to the 2000KV @ 44,000 RPM's. Would you be able to gear up the 1300KV motor to make up the difference in RPM's?

The cell limit for the Tekin motors is 6S on the T8's that are under 2000KV. 2000KV is about the limit that you can run 6S. I would personally recommend 4S and under for the 2650KV+ Tekin motors, but from what I've seen and what Tekin say's, 6S is the limit.

Most of the 5mm shaft brushless motors cannot handle the vibration above 60,000RPM's, or have bearing failure. I've been a big fan of Mr. John Holmes' words of "Volt up, gear down". These motor's have their torque from the first RPM, to the last. If you use the proper gearing for your application, apply the proper voltage, and keep the temps down, you're doing it right.

Gearing is the main factor. I can run that 1300KV motor with a larger pinion cooler with more voltage. From my research, the 2000KV motor will need roughly a 20-21T pinion on the 46T spur with 43T diffs and 13T pinions to achieve my goal. That's with IGT tires that are slightly larger than a 1/8th buggy wheel. With the 1300KV motor and the extra 8.4 volts I will be able to gear down due to the voltage increase. That, in turn will leave more headroom in speed that runs cool. That 2000KV motor will be hotter, running a bigger pinion, and using less voltage to get the car up to speed. The 1300KV will use more voltage, less gearing, and less heat to achieve the same goal. The gearing is going to be crucial in this project. Also, the voltage will bring that RPM up a lot quicker. It seems weird, but that 1300KV on 8S, VS the 2000KV on 6S will spool quicker with the same gearing. It would be equivalent to a motor running about 1.5 times the KV because of the voltage increase, with less heat.

The answer is yes, I could use a different pinion, but I'm not going to if the heat brings the pinion size down. If it can't handle the heat, I'm using more voltage and a lower KV motor to get where I want with the same gearing.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:05 am 
The Hobbit

I have a Tekin T8 2350 and RX8 in my Savage, HOLY SHIT!

[_ [_ ,[__]
[-- l__l -OlllllO-
( )_) ( )_) -)_)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:58 pm 
Im A Big Kid Now!

Putting some more stuff together. Turns out that the GT2 Chassis I ordered, was located in the heart of New York, NY. Should be here sometime next week. On the bright side, I couldn't decide between the Kyosho conversion kit, and the RC-Monster Kit. I bought both, mainly to use the RC-Monster battery tray and motor mount. I'm using the Kyosho radio box because it's a box. If I decide to go with mechanical brakes, I'll use the RC-M mount. I got the RC-M kit, complete, off ebay for 20 bucks plus shipping. Score. Got some of the front end cleaned and put back together, broke the mount for the front bumper in the process of taking it apart. There was no getting around it with how bent the bolts were. I'm using partially threaded 3mmx45mm cap heads instead of the upper hinge bolts. A new shock tower is on the way that's aluminum, and 4mm thick. Also building a hybrid center diff for this. Kyosho cup, Kyosho bevel pins, Hot Bodies hardened steel gears with a Hot Bodies hardened steel 46T center diff gear. The hardened gears from HB are much harder than most, and I've broken a lot of stuff around them in the 1600KV 6S Truggy. Depending on how they hold up, these may be my go to diffs for the front and rear of this, and the truggy.

Waiting on some uni's, the shock tower, and a few other goodies:

Close up of the ear that broke off taking it apart. The cap head on the right is upper hinge pin:

RC-Monster Kit:

Kyosho Brushless Conversion Set:

Both of them in comparison:

Lightweight, wicked-strong center diff:

Underside comparison of the battery trays:

Topside of the battery trays:

Which one does the battery fit in:

I'm leaning towards the RC-M battery tray, but the Kyosho tray provides a more "fit and finished" look. The Kyosho is quite a bit smaller in the battery area.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:44 pm 
Im A Big Kid Now!

More parts!

More red on the way, pretty much everything that is blue will be red, or hard anno.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:12 pm 
Thats Mr Harvard Bob to you

Dammit Bobby. :shock: Is about all I can say.

Seems to me that with all this work you have on hand you oughta hook a nigga up with a one of them TCs you got being neglected.... :angel: I got the Department of Domestic Tranquility on board with splitting the cost of a NEW TC4 club racer kit for $150. Then I can start buying up all that other shit you said to buy...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:13 pm 
Im A Big Kid Now!

I'll sell you a roller for 150. Will come ready to go with a plastic diff in the rear, and a spool up front. That's how I run them for bashing. I'll have to look and see what else I can find for it. Let me know if you're interested.

On another note....

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:52 pm 

The more I see of this GT car the less I think about the TCs to tell you the truth. For what a TC will wind up costing me I "coooould" convert the infamous jam racing OFNA buggy into a GT car. :-k

But I dunno. We'll see after some thought.

This GT project of yours looks pretty fuckin awesome. I can't wait to see what 100mph RC looks like in person.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:49 pm 
Im A Big Kid Now!

Check out the Ofna DM-1. I think, if I remember correctly, some of the parts are compatible. New shocks, new arms, new turnbuckles, etc, etc.... but it'll save you on the parts you can use. I would try that route personally, just seeing the size of this thing is impressive, but if you're interested I can make you a deal on one of my TC3's. I have an odd feeling that if the herd doesn't get thinned out, I'll get in trouble. I just bought a TMaxx for 40.00 bucks yesterday too, so I can keep something nitro.

I'm disappointed with my speed measuring device. I'm using an older GPS unit, and it say's that the 6s 1600KV truggy is only going 29.2mph. I can tell that's incorrect by my eyes.

I ordered a Kyosho McLaren F1 body, SP shock towers, and a few other goodies. My wheels and tires should be here this week as well, they're yellow, but were cheaper, and they're Sweep GT 45 slicks with full face inserts.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:14 pm 
Im A Big Kid Now!

Update: Screw kit came in. Gotta hold this thing together if it hits something at 100MPH. Hexcrews Armor Plated set for the GT-2. Sweep GT wheels with belted slicks are also here.

Got the Racers Edge stuff for an MP777 in, some of it fits, some doesn't. The rear chassis brace did not fit, so I made it fit. Nice and stiff.

Also.... Here's a shot of a 1/10th scale sitting on it (Jon, that one's yours.... )

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:45 pm 

Man what a sweet fuckin rig. That's gonna look BADASS goin a hunnert! Oh, and yours too! :P :lol: :lol:

But, seriously, I wondered if you took the notion that you could slap some off-road tires on it and tweak or swap the shocks and still have an 8th scale off-road buggy that'd go 100? Bring on that ramp of death!

And, I wonder where you intend on running this thing effectively at that high of a speed? I can just see it hitting a dip in the asphalt and launching into a fucking mailbox at WOT.... or will it still be okay to bash around with and just know that you have the ability to crank it up when you get to feeling a little jerky?

Nice work Howard. I hope I get the chance to see you and the finished product in person.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:50 pm 
Im A Big Kid Now!

Most people say that it's just a longer buggy with stiffer shocks and different tires. It's all Kyosho MP777/7.5 Inferno running gear, even the arms are the same lengths. Lower ride, rubber band tires, on road body. The trick is getting that nasty ass nitro gear out of it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:04 pm 

Don't be trying to bullshit the bullshitter Howard. You can't ever make me believe that you din't STILL get a little bit hard when you hear a well-tuned Nitro engine being effectively put through it's paces. =; Come drive my Xray/RB. You can thank me later. It might not be the be-all-end-all of truggies, but it damned well is what it is.

I dig the electrics for the ease and quickness of getting one down and running. And no doubt yours is gonna be one sweet-assed rig when it's done. But the sounds and smells of the Nitros are still pretty fucking awesome if you have all day to get set up and drug out.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:18 pm 
Im A Big Kid Now!

jrc6805 wrote:
if you have all day to get set up and drug out.

It's been so long that I don't even remember hating them. I've had some nitros in my day, and do enjoy them. After the lipo/brushless revolution, I can't even say I'd bother looking back. Maybe to keep parts together, and keep the speeds down. If I want the hassle, I'll buy a T-Maxx....

Crap, I bought a T-maxx last week, just to have hassle.

Now, I've never had the pleasure of driving a well equipped Xray with a nice Nova or RB engine. I have had big blocks that proved to be a complete pain in the ass to tune, small blocks that were a complete pain in the ass to tune. Some, I would try again, other's I wouldn't. But I've never actually dropped over 300 bucks on a nitro motor before. Never had the cash back in the day, and electric was limited to 1\10th scale on roads for any kind of speed.

Keep an eye out for an OG SuperMaxx style build. 1/8th scale diffs and a nice .21.... the T-Maxx has some plans for it, and my son may even end up with it, who knows.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:21 am 

I have to say, not being conceited here, that building and driving this xray was/is a REAL treat. My RB, since opening the box, hasn't had ANY adjustment to the low speed needle, and barely any adjustment to the high speed needle. Finally this year, after some 2-1/2 gallons, the RB "came in" and now will bump over immediately, and idle flawlessly. I don't know what about the high dollar engines make them do so much better than the others. But I find it hard to make a definitive hard choice between nitro and electric. I like them both and for different reasons.