It is currently Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: I broke my ankle, so i figure it's time to fix the savage.
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:11 pm 
On probation

I broke my ankle so I won't be out riding my four wheeler for a few months. So I am going to fix up my savage.

It needs a new engine. I am sick of the Picco .28. It doesn't fit right and I think that's the reason it hasn't worked in the past. I was thinking about just getting one of the HPI .28's. any suggestions? I don't want to spend to much more than $150.

I also would like to upgrade my radio. Probably one of the spektrum radio's. I would like to go 2.4

Soooo as i get ideas and if any are suggested i will update whats going on.

any suggestions are welcome!

-YUCK says:
"I dig lucky charms and I'm not a homo"

Post subject: Re: I broke my ankle, so i figure it's time to fix the savage.
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:16 pm 
Thats Mr Harvard Bob to you

If you're dead set on the Savage, I recommend 2 engines from XTM. Okay three but it's basically the same engine; the SH .28. In fact, Hobbit has ALL my old Savage shit. He might make you a deal on one of my old engines. Perhaps JUST in time to get his ass to the bash with all this sudden income. :fu:

My last engine purchase for the Savage was the XTM 457 Pro. Under $300 and has GOBS of power. after a gallon or more of break in it still had to have the plug loose before it'd start.
A little less expensive is the 24.7 PRO. A solid engine that I used three times. What I mean is that I wore three of em out. GREAT customer service for when they do wear out or take a dump.

Otherwise get the HPI engine for ease of installation. But Swede has a Savage with a Picco .28 or is it a 30 :-k ...point is they WILL FIT if you're doing it right. But frankly, if you wanna drop $300 go get a new VXL Pede or a Slash 4X4. You will have ten times the runtime and less than one tenth of the headaches.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:09 am 
On probation

I realize this, but the only thing wrong with my savage is the fact that the picco doesn't fit correctly. So I figured I would atleast give it a shot at living again. It never truly ran for me lol.

How hard was it to get the xtm to fit? Hobby people doesnt seem to have the sh. 28 and they are the last place i saw one.

I see the 457 and its definitely in my price range. Any major modifications to get it to fit?

-YUCK says:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:37 pm 

No special trick to getting either XTM engine into place. I will say, though, that You haveta use the XTM Sure Start system on the 457 Pro. the HPI roto start will not work on the 457 pro.....I think. Maybe it was just the LCG Chassis I was using at the time.
I would go with the 24.7 Pro if I were you. You need a special roto start back plate for it but mounting the engine is a snap with a standard engine mount. Something tells me that Picco you already got will fit if you're using the right spur gear. Seems to me like some fellas were modifying their TVP to allow for use of taller gears with these high powered motors.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:49 pm 
On probation

I have tried just about everything i know how to do to get the dang thing to work.. It has a steel spur right now and it keeps eating clutch bells. What spur gear do you think i should be using? I'd be willing to try that out before dropping $150 on an engine.

-YUCK says:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:36 pm 

First off you can't use a hardened steel spur without a hardened steel pinion. Even then the mesh has to be TITS. So it isn't so much the size but the mesh. But typically with the 25's and up folks want to put a taller gear in it to make it go fast. the problem is the TVP gets in the way and the motorplate slots aren't long enough to give the adjustment you need. So you have to massage the stock stuff a little to get it to work.

I'd say ditch the metal spur gear unless its a 47 or 49. Seems like I ran 16/49 in mine and wanted more speed. So the Three-speed tranny was my next move but never got around to it. As soon as you realize that Savage isn't going to go 75 MPH the better off you'll be. Make it quick and snappy so it will jump and flip. That's about all they're good for. - They're Monster Trucks; they go straight quick and jump high and land stiff.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:05 pm 
On probation

I'm pretty sure its a 46. I guess ill order a new plastic spur and a new cb. Give that a shot first off.

But that's how it was set up before and i was chewing spurs left and right.

I also remember that one of them would not physically fit. I can't remember which though...

-YUCK says:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:13 pm 
On probation

I ordered a stock 16t CB and a 47 and a 49 tooth spur gear.

Also i think i could use some new shocks. Maybe do the whole LST shock mod? or would i be better off with just some more stock ones? or perhaps just a rebuild...?

-YUCK says:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:07 pm 

Ricer55 wrote:
I ordered a stock 16t CB and a 47 and a 49 tooth spur gear.

Also i think i could use some new shocks. Maybe do the whole LST shock mod? or would i be better off with just some more stock ones? or perhaps just a rebuild...?

That's up to you and your budget. I wouldn't go nuts on it. Seriously. Maybe rebuild the stockers as long as the plastic shock bodies aren't worn out with pin holes in em. But if you seriously plan on keeping and running it then go for the big bores.
But first get the fuckin thing running and driving. Worry about shocks and shit later. Your best friend will be a pair of GOOD servos. Okay, mediocre servos, and the buggy- style spring-loaded bell crank mod if it doesn't have it already. I think some of the newer versions of the Savage already have it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:44 pm 
On probation

I can get the integy set for just shy of $100.. Do integy shocks still have issues with leaking?

-YUCK says:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:13 pm 

Beats me. I quit watching the Savage forums when I got rid of mine.

Dude, if you want a Savage project and have money to spend, I will sell you this Brushless Savage Conversion I still have. It sits here with spankin new HPI threaded aluminum shocks, a three speed conversion tranny, or so I was told. I haven't cracked the case on it. It has every available, at that time, FastlaneMachine part made for the Savage. The front and rear ends are applicable to the nitro savage. Im not sure but I think all you'd need would be a nitro motor plate and it'd be back to a nitro extended, widened, and lowered Savage.
600.00 shipped to include a new set of 17mm wheels and badlands tires. (You'd need 17mm hex conversion) It will also come with a new lid that you'd haveta nigger rig or make fit. Its got a new spektrum servo and a used 645MG servo installed and ready for electronics. It also comes with a set of ramtech aluminum wheels with Road Rages mounted. They are the stock hex size. Im not in a bind to sell it really. But I know Im not gonna do anythign with it. And its got all the stuff you need sans an engine.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:18 pm 
On probation

I would love to buy that.. but i don't have $600 laying around haha.

HPI sells their big bore shocks that bolt right on for $70. Bam

-YUCK says:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:30 am 

But you'll drop over half that amount for an engine, shocks, and misc. spurs and pinions? Suit yourself. I will likely wind up finishing this Savage of mine at some point but it'll be an antique before its done.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:41 am 
On probation

But if i bought your truck i would have to drop $600 then on top of that probably more spurs and pinions and that motor plate and possibly a new engine...

-YUCK says:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:12 pm 

Im not sure about the motor plate. that would take some research.
Suit yourself. Im not trying for a hard sell. Its just my opinion that if you're gonna still try to run a Savage you'd want one that already has a lot of upgrades on it. And, chances are there isn't anything wrong with that Picco. Hell it ran fine under Shakers hands didn't it? That is to say if it's the same Savage we've seen videos of....
But whatever. If you wanna stick with what you got thats likely the smart choice over dropping a ton of money into a Savage of any make and model.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:07 pm 
On probation

He sent it to me with a stripped spur gear. I only know of one video of him bashing it, it's been a while so i don't know if their are more. I just wanna give this one last shot before i go to crazy on anything.

-YUCK says:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:57 pm 

Agreed. Then put stock gearing back in it to start with.
Make double-dawg sure the motor sits squarely with the tranny, and that the motor plate isn't bent. The two screws that hold the motor plate to the tranny always are missing and they help keep shit in line.
Inspect closely the motor mount itself. Mine usedta get a hairline crack that wouldn't show up until it was under torque. All it takes is once to throw it off and the spur is toast.

A motor mount exists that adjusts forward and backward as well as left and right. Get that if you still can't get it.
Gear mesh is paramount on the Savage. Use a strip of printer paper inserted between the gears before you try to tighten them up. Don't mash hard, just enough to hold it until you get the screws tight. I usedta get all the screws in and within half a turn or so and then put the paper in. Tighten the screws a little at a time evenly so the torque of tightening them doesn't move the engine around.

Back to the motor plate: Make sure the holes aren't wallered out too much and that it is flat and straight. Even the little aluminum braces get bent somehow and they can throw shit off. Get all that done and then see what happens.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:07 pm 
On probation

Well last time i was trying to get this thing working right i actually filed out the holes to make it more adjustable so they are pretty wallered out haha. I added some washers so it still tightens down pretty good.

The engine is sitting on what i believe is the stock mount. I bought an aftermarket one but its to big to fit.im gonna clean it up and check for cracks. I have until like the 8th before my shit gets here.

-YUCK says:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:55 pm 

Do yourself a favor and get a new motor plate. "It tightens down pretty good" is why the fuckin thing shucks out spur gears. I've been there. This is also an area where loctite is paramount. Keep in mind this is why most folks get rid of the Savages. They run the fuck out of them until shit starts becoming problematic. Yours will be no different. Put it back close to stock and you'll have fun until your leg heals. Except who you gonna get to chase after it and flip it back over? :flipa: :flipa: :flipa:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:01 pm 
On probation

But see, the engine would not fit until i filed out the holes. It tightens down and doesn't move.

-YUCK says: