It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Getting a Truggy.
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:56 pm 
On probation

So I'm gonna be getting a truggy one way or another soon.

Lookin at the Xray XT8. Now before anybody says look for something with parts availability, there is zero parts for any truggy around me except for maybe the losi.

So far for an engine i have been looking at the O.S. .25 XZ It goes for $329 and i was curious if there might be a slightly cheaper option. Team Orion has some engine and Pipe combos on Amain but i have never heard of that brand. They make the CRF Alpha model and then a standard model.
CRF Alpha- http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_inf ... -2057-Pipe
standard- http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_inf ... -2066-Pipe

If i was to get the OS engine im looking at a JP-4 for a pipe.

I also added an OFNA truggy starter box.

I also want to go with a 2.4 radio, so im looking at the Spektrum DX3S. It comes with a telemetry receiver and a standard reciever.

and then i added a mylaps personal transponder because my track requires personal transponders.

Im not set on any servos at this point im open to just about everything. I dont want to spend a ton on them since im already at $1400 as it sits.........

any suggestions would be appreciated.

-YUCK says:
"I dig lucky charms and I'm not a homo"

Post subject: Re: Getting a Truggy.
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:39 pm 
On probation

and then theres this engine. http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_inf ... Turbo-Plug

it's a .21 but looks like a great deal.

-YUCK says:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:03 am 
That's Mr. Instigator to you punk!

Gte the RB.. Fuck all that other bullshit.

throttle servo: http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/61_100/products_id/19298/n/JR-Z9100S-Digital-Ultra-Hi-Speed-Surface-Servo-Metal-Gear

steering servo: http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/61_100/products_id/18804/n/JR-Z9100T-Digital-Ultra-Hi-Torque-Surface-Servo-Metal-Gear

Starter box: http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_1932_52/products_id/12542/n/OFNA-Truggy-Starter-Box
I bought the black one with the power panel 'cause they didn't have the blue truggy box in stock.

I've always had good luck with Nova based engines.. I dig the RB's.. you don't have to fiddle fuck around with'em everytime you run'em. It's gonna take some time to geit broken in, but once you do you MIGHT have to run the LSN about 1/4 turn.. IF you get a turbo pplug engine.. get about 4 extra plugs. You're goona cook the one that comes with it in the first few tanks and maybe 2 more during break in 'cause you're gonna be running it fat. They've got a pretty linear powerband and they're CONSISTENT. Mine sat for a year and fired right up..

Get the good filters too: http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_1932_34/products_id/16201/n/RB-Concept-Air-Filter-Buggy-Foam-Oil
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_1932_34/products_id/5760/n/RB-Concept-1-8-Off-Road-Two-Stage-Air-Filter-Foam-w-Oil-for-1291-B-10

______________¶___
| The STFU Truck ||l ""|""\__,_
| ______________|||__|__|__|]
( :lol: )( :lol: )**********( :lol: )( :lol: )

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:05 am 
Thats Mr Harvard Bob to you

It's about fuckin time. Pay no attention to what it costs. Its only money. Buying that xray and then installing a bunch of jankity-assed cheap shit on it is like putting a Chevy engine in a Ferrari. =;

If you're serious about getting into the truggy class at your local track then you're going to need serious racing equipment. Looks like you have all good the shit picked out. Yuck speaks the truth. Once you get into the top shelf stuff your whole RC experience will change. The first day of running my xray on the track I got in more runtime than in ten years of fucking around with a Savage. B'leee DAT beyotch!
And also once you get it to the track and are running while you notice the rest of them constantly adjusting and wrenching and cursing the Losi, AE, and other cereal-box rigs you'll be glad to have spent the extra money. Nobody sells xray parts because nobody NEEDS xray parts. :flipa: Until they wear out and then you order more online.

I love my RB. Period. But the O.S. Engines aren't bad ones if you do your homework. That RB 21 will likely produce as much power than a larger engine and use less fuel. Which might let you win one on fuel mileage. Also, the 21 will put more usable power on the ground while the larger engines waste it with wheel spin. If they're spinning wildly then they aren't gripping...

Get it done already! Just remember that the lid that comes with the XT8-09 Spec has the dimples in the wrong spot for your body posts. Make SURE to fit the lid to the chassis before you paint it. If you do like I did, you'll ruin the stock lid. :mallot:
Finally, go to the xray forum and get a setup sheet. there are several on there from team drivers and they listed the tracks they used em on. After a little research you might find a description of the track conditions and then set up your car like they did for that track - as you build it. You can also gauge by that setup sheet which shock oils to buy and which diff fluids to buy. Everyone has a different opinion on what works for them at their track.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:11 am 
On probation

Looks like I'm dropping a bit over $1,500. Oh well it's like I'm buying a new top of the line quad for 1/8th the price that I can't ride... lol

I also read up that the 808 buggy parts can be used in most cases on the xt8. So if i find somebody who carries that crap I'm set.

-YUCK says:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:03 am 

I wouldn't depend on anybody having what you need at the track. Part of being a serious racer is being prepared at the track. I learned that last week. Along with the $1500 in new kit and accessories you should also drop another $100 or so on shit like shock bladders, different springs, shock o-rings and diff o-rings and bearings. You don't have to go crazy on it, but you will be damned glad to NOT be put out of running ALL DAY over a $2 bag of o-rings for a blown shock or something stupid. go read up on the thing at the xray forum. There are LOTS of good pointers on this truck.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:08 pm 
On probation

they are actually $5.99 for a bag of 10 :flipa:

-YUCK says:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:04 pm 

Well then you get my point. Another thing I recommend is one of two things or both. depending on your starter box, you can get a glow igniter than plugs in to your bump box. I would also get a good backup igniter. I use a hot shot 2500. Lasts all day............when you have an engine that'll start.

Only other thing left to consider is a Hudy setup station, droop gauge, and setup blocks. Its worth it, but not necessarily vital. Just an extreme convenience in tweaking the truggy. Different from the Savage, the XT8 WILL MOST CERTAINLY respond to minute changes. the setup station helps in getting those minute changes correct on all 4 corners. The set up is most of your driving ability. The better it's tweaked the better you will look driving it. another thing I learned at the bash last weekend driving Dale, and Dustin's trucks.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:37 pm 
On probation

dang $150... do you think this would work? http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_inf ... 8th-1-10th

-YUCK says:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:41 pm 
On probation

screw it I'll just get the hudy one.

-YUCK says:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:43 pm 

Yes the integy one "would work". If you do get the Hudy station, you will also need the truggy toe plate. ITs a wider piece of plastic made for the wider truggy.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:10 pm 
On probation

is this the droop gauge and setup blocks you are speaking of? http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_inf ... ort-Blocks

-YUCK says:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:42 pm 

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_inf ... ge-0--13mm

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_inf ... -8-On-Road

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_inf ... 8th-Truggy

This is what I have. The setup station is not fully useful to you without the toe plate. If you're going in it this deep another $45 ain't shit. You still don't have any wheels or tires. You can save a little money but not getting the blocks. You can duplicate those with wood and not be out the cash. But you DO need to drop for the toe plate to get the most from the setup stand. The one that comes with is made for buggies.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:14 pm 
On probation

Shit i didnt realize it didnt come with them... haha

-YUCK says:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:24 pm 
On probation

I'm sitting at $1,844.49 lol... I might need to make some changes.. but then again i might just go for it...

-YUCK says:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:50 pm 

Fuckin GO for it man! Money you can make when you get back to work the rest of your fucking life. With this rig you can simply add the factory upgrades as they are released. Or you can follow Dustin's lead and rape the motherfucker for a year and ebay the roller for the new model next year.
Either way you won't be sorry. MAn hobbies are expensive. Just tell you mom she's lucky you didn't choose Golf or Bass Fishing as a Hobby.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:18 am 
That's Mr. Instigator to you punk!

Ricer55 wrote:
they are actually $5.99 for a bag of 10 :flipa:

Yeah.. and you can get 100 from McMaster Carr for $5.99 too.

I think the price for all my shit just went up. 8)

______________¶___
| The STFU Truck ||l ""|""\__,_
| ______________|||__|__|__|]
( :lol: )( :lol: )**********( :lol: )( :lol: )

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:15 am 

YUCK wrote:

I think the price for all my shit just went up. 8)

If you sell off your RC shit Im coming down there PERSONALLY to kick you right in the nuts. :cussing:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:19 am 
On probation

as for tires... http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_inf ... res-Blue-2 would these guys be good?

-YUCK says:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:36 am 

Tires are different at every track and sometimes different by the hour. Go look at the guys who win all the time at where you're going to race and get what they got. You will eventually need more than one set. Track conditions change sometime hourly.

Tires of spending money yet? I already predict the cussing you're going to post when you go to order all this shit from AMain. I got like three different phone calls confirming the order, and address and all that shit. Be sure to tellum jrc sent you. :flipa: :flipa: :flipa: